Pages

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Switching Hats with Finesse...





Switching Hats with Finesse!


Just walked in the door: the dog is barking, the kids need a snack, the kids need help with their homework, the kids need a referee because one hid the other's backpack. What am I cooking for dinner? What sport practice is tonight?  Is there Brownies? Band? Piano?  Dance? Two hours later I still haven't gone to the bathroom! Meltdown in 5…4…3…2…1…

Managing many hats can make a mother maniacal.  How do you manage from work to mom  to coach to brownie leader to wife? The list is endless.  Having so many responsibilities can be drowning, deafening, depressing and downright disappointing.  Feeling overwhelmed and diminished is a feeling we all experience at one time or another.  So how do we support ourselves to make successful transitions in a time of chaos?

Taking time for yourself is a perfect way to make transitions less tumultuous.  

In my late twenties - a mother of three- a wife- a full time teacher- a crazy woman...came the need for me time. I found it in yoga.  For an hour and a half I flowed through the vinyasa of someone telling me what to do. A full hour and a half of not thinking - pure movement- success - awareness.  I noticed this presence flow into my daily transitions and responsibilities.  A practice I continue often.  

In my early thirties, I became a runner.  I recall a movie, What Women Want with Mel Gibson and Helen Hunt.  The Nike commercial created in their advertising firm is the perfect explanation of my feeling when I ran. 


Check it out:


I needed that freedom.  I ran three to four miles every morning. I was energized - full of life full of glory ready to face any challenge that presented itself.  After a health issue, I stopped running and I noticed tension stress and anger building - my patience and tolerance diminishing.  

Then I started soaping.  An amazing creative outlet that provides me meditation and time to rejuvenate and cleanse - haha- my mind from the fast forward of life.  Knowing there is me time at some point in a week provides me with the solace I need to encounter everyday with my full presence and awareness. 

A way to respond thoughtfully instead of act instinctually.  

What is your cleanse?



No comments:

Post a Comment